Frozen Shoulder Release
PHASE I: Maintain ROM (0 to 6 weeks)
- May remove dressing and shower postop day # 3.
- Sutures are all underneath the skin and will dissolve on their own
- Ice or cold flow systems encouraged for the first week at a minimum: should be used 3-4 times per day.
- Sling should be used for comfort only.
- Pulleys or Continuous Passive Motion (CPM) machine to be used 3-5 times per day.
- Supplement exercise program 3 times per day:
- Immediate elbow, forearm and hand range of motion out of sling
- Pendulum exercises
- Aggressive PROM and capsular mobility in all planes
- Supervised PROM and capsular stretching 3 times per week.
- May start active scapular mobility exercises immediately.
- Initiate AROM when tolerated.
PHASE II: Restore Function (>6 weeks)
- Initiate gentle rotator cuff strengthening (Theraband, dumbbells, etc)
- Continue scapular stabilizer strengthening.
- Avoid strengthening in positions of impingement.
You will need the Adobe Reader to view and print these documents.