Acromioclavicular Joint Reconstruction
- Acute (arthroscopic)
- Chronic (open)
PHASE I: Protect Repair(0 to 8 weeks after surgery)
- Patients may shower immediately over clear plastic, waterproof dressing
- Sutures are all underneath the skin and will dissolve on their own
- Ice or cold flow systems encouraged for the first week at a minimum: should be used 3-4 times per day.
- Sling should be in place when not performing exercises.
- Initiate exercise program 3 times per day:
- Immediate elbow, forearm and hand range of motion out of sling
- Pendulum exercises
- Passive and active assistive ER at the side to 30, flexion to 130
- No lifting with involved extremity.
- AVOID scapular ROM exercises.
PHASE II: Progress ROM & Protect Repair(8 to 12 weeks after surgery)
- May discontinue sling.
- Lifting restriction of 5 pounds with the involved extremity.
- Advance active and passive ROM in all planes to tolerance.
- Initiate gentle rotator cuff strengthening.
- Initiate scapular AROM exercises.
PHASE III: Full Function(3 months after surgery)
- Discontinue lifting restrictions.
- Advance rotator cuff and scapular stabilizer strengthening.
- Initiate functional progression to sports specific activities at 4 months.
You will need the Adobe Reader to view and print these documents.