Radial Head Replacement
PHASE I: Early ROM & Protect Repair (0 to 6 weeks)
- Splint and postop dressing remains in place for the first week.
- Hinged Elbow Brace worn at all times (after the initial dressing removed)
- Avoid varus/valgus forces across the elbow until 3 months postop.
- Initiate elbow exercise program 5 times per day:
- Passive and active elbow ROM to full flexion
- Elbow extension to 20 (with forearm pronated) week 2
- Elbow extension to 10 (with forearm pronated) week 3
- Elbow extension to 0 (with forearm pronated) week 4
- Forearm pronation/supination ROM with elbow at 90 degrees flexion
- Grip and wrist/hand AROM immediately.
- Perform supination ROM only with the elbow flexed to 90 degrees.
PHASE II: Full ROM and function (>6 weeks)
- Advance ROM:
- Full elbow and forearm ROM out of HEB
- Terminal elbow extension performed with the forearm neutral or pronated until 3 months.
- Initiate elbow and forearm strengthening.
- Avoid varus forces across the elbow until 3 months postop.
- Avoid activities creating axial load to involved extremity until 3 months postop.
You will need the Adobe Reader to view and print these documents.