Distal Biceps Repair
PHASE I: Early ROM (0 to 6 weeks)
- Splint remains in place for the first 10-14 days.
- Sutures will be removed by physician in 10-14 days.
- At 10-14 days transition to hinged elbow brace.
- Initiate ROM exercises 3- 5 times per day in hinged elbow brace:
- Weeks 2/3:
- PROM into flexion and supination IN BRACE
- AAROM into extension and pronation IN BRACE
- Week 2: brace locked from 60 to full flexion
- Week 3: brace locked from 40 to full flexion
- Weeks 4-6:
- Add AAROM into flexion (not supination) IN BRACE
- Week 4: brace unlocked from 30 to full flexion
- Week 5: brace locked from 20 to full flexion
- Week 6: brace unlocked full motion
Grip ROM and strengthening exercises
Pro/supination always performed at 90 degrees of flexion
PHASE II: Restore Function (6-12 weeks)
- Progress active and passive ROM as tolerated.
- Initiate gentle elbow and forearm strengthening.
- No Lifting/carrying > than 5 lbs, no repetitive use
PHASE III: Return to work (>12 weeks)
- Increase strength and endurance (work specific) training
You will need the Adobe Reader to view and print these documents.